Thursday, July 26, 2012

NCBAM

North Carolina Baptist Aging Ministry (NCBAM) is in the process of conducting three round tables across the state discussing the ministry needs of ministers 65+. I was able to attend the first of those round tables in Kinston on Tuesday. The issue is close to my heart and skin since I’m barreling down on that magic age.

The issues facing aging ministers are many and varied, as with any demographic. Some age in good health with reasonably good retirement income and family close and involved in their lives.  Others are alone, facing health crises and/or financially strapped.

The need I advanced at the round table in Kinston was that of support, community and ministry and service opportunities.  Those are the kinds of issues that present for seniors who do not face financial or health crisis, but might well face crisis of meaning and connectedness.

These are the issues that need to be addressed by the Jabez Project.  I was bold enough to suggest to the NCBAM reps present that the Baptist State Convention and its entities should undertake development of Christian Cohousing communities addressed to retired, active seniors.  That’s way different from the life care communities traditionally developed by Baptist Retirement Homes in most states.

Since NCBAM is under the auspices of the North Carolina Baptist Children’s Homes and the NCBCH has major campuses in all three regions of the state, each with empty units and vast undeveloped land, it would seem to be a natural extension of the family ministry of NCBAM and NCBCH to develop such senior communities.  Most of the retiring seniors I’m talking about would be quite capable of participating in the financing of their units and could pay monthly fees associated with its support.

A retirement community populated by Christians fully committed to using their senior years, energy and resources to bless one another and continue to carry the Gospel of Christ to the world through mission projects - that’s what I’m talkin’ about! If I can be a lead agent to make that kind of community happen…. color me there!

No comments:

Post a Comment